People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
- 29 March - 4 April: The Intergovernmental Negotiating Body on a Protocol on Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products meet for the final (fifth) session; agrees a draft Protocol.
- 31 May: World No Tobacco Day 2012 focuses on tobacco industry interference.
- 12–17 November: The fifth session (COP5) took place in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- 1 December 2012: For the first time globally, plain packaging comes into force in Australia. Other countries begin the process to also introduce plain packaging.
- 31 May: World No Tobacco Day 2013 focuses on banning tobacco advertising and sponsorship.
- 31 May: World No Tobacco Day 2014 focuses on raising taxes on tobacco
- 13-18 October: The sixth session (COP6) to the FCTC takes place 13-18 October in Moscow, Russian Federation.