People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
- September 4, 2013
The fifth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) was held in November 2012.
Parties adopted important decisions, including:
- The Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products;
- Referring back to the working group draft policy options and recommendations on sustainable alternative livelihoods for tobacco growers;
- Agreement in principle to set up a formal system for reviewing Parties' biennial reports (an 'implementation review mechanism').
COP6 is scheduled for October 2014. It will need to take important decisions, including on:
- The FCTC budget for 2016-17;
- Travel support for low-resource Parties.
Download the full graphic (5MB): WHO FCTC from COP5 to COP6