People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
- March 25, 2012
24 March 2012
"... we call on all governments to take the following steps:
• To those who have not yet done so (Argentina, El Salvador, Cuba, and Dominican Republic) ratify the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.
• For those who have ratified we urge you to apply public policies in line with the WHO FCTC and other international standards to guarantee the welfare and health of their countries.
• We urge all governments to adopt policies for the implementation of Article 5.3 of the WHO FCTC ensuring the exclusion of the tobacco industry from the negotiation of tobacco control policies, and ensure transparency and mechanisms for anti-corruption policies.
Read in full:
- Declaration of the Latin American and Caribbean delegation of the 15th World Conference on Tobacco or Health, Singapore, 2012
- Declaracion de Latino America y el Caribe in la Conferencia 15 de la Conference Mundial de Tabaco O Salud en Singapur 2012