People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
- September 15, 2015
Three new members will join the FCA board in January 2016.
During the 10th FCA General Assembly Elections in August three seats were contested: two of the six regional seats and one of the three at-large positions.
As a result, the FCA’s membership elected a diverse board with different talents, and all having substantial experience as tobacco control advocates.
The new members are:
AMRO regional seat
SEARO regional seat.
FCA Laurent Huber thanked the outgoing members.
"While they are not leaving the board until the end of the year, I want to give special recognition to the three board members whose terms end 31 December 2015: Iqbal Masud (SEARO), Johanna “Jo” Birckmayer (AMRO) and Lutgard Kokulinda Kagaruki (at-large)," he said.
As of 1 January 2016 the FCA’s board will be made up of:
- Regional Office for Africa (AFRO): Issah Ali
- Regional Office for the Americas (AMRO): Alejandro Ramos
- Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean (EMRO): Fouad Fouad
- Regional Office for Europe (EURO): Maxime Compaoré
- Regional Office for South-East Asia (SEARO): Amit Yadav
- Regional Office for the Western Pacific (WPRO): Ulysses Dorotheo
- At-large: Maria Carmona
- At-large: Mônica Andreis
- At-large: Judith Watt
Board members serve for four years. During the next FCA election in 2016 one at-large seat and the positions for the AFRO and EMRO regions will be contested.