People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
Take a look at the World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) image slideshow below to see how FCA members marked the day.
World No Tobacco Day 2014
Palau’s president signs a proclamation for WNTD2014.
Banners in the streets of Pakistan promote WNTD2014, organised by Coalition for Tobacco Control.
Cameroon Coalition Against Tobacco mark WNTD2014 in the capital Yaoundé.
Bangladesh PROGGA awards 5 Tobacco Control Journalism awards for WNTD2014.
Bangladesh Anti Tobacco Alliance demonstrate with symbolic tobacco products during WNTD2014.
Palau President Tommy E. Remengesau, Jr. (left) and Kambes Kesolei at a WNTD2014 event in Palau. © Merkii Urmakl-Meek
Student volunteers distribute smoke-free stickers and smoke-free car stickers to mark WNTD2014.(c) ASH Thailand.
COLAT organises a march in Lima, Peru to pass a law for a ban on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship.
Hero supermarkets in Papua, Indonesia, agreed to not sell tobacco for 24 hours.
Representatives from Brazil’s National Cancer Institute and the Federal Revenue department explained how tobacco tax increases helped to reduce smoking in Brazil.
The community gets behind WNTD2014 during a mass rally in Bhaktapur, Nepal, organised by Health Rights and Tobacco District Network.
Members of the Kosrae State Tobacco Control Coalition hold up a banner to mark World No Tobacco Day. (photo courtesy KSTCC).
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2014 (WNTD2014), which took place 31 May, was Raise taxes on tobacco.
Research shows that higher taxes are effective in reducing tobacco use among lower-income groups and preventing young people from starting to smoke.
This year, Framework Convention Alliance helped unite its members to take action on this important issue.
Find out more about the day in the links below.
Congratulations award winners!
FCA would like to recognise all the WNTD award winners, and especially those who are FCAers or who have supported FCA over the years. Congratulations to:
- The Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA), Philippines
- Ms Dorcas Jepsongol Kiptui, Republic of Kenya
- Mr Vuyile Dlamini, Kingdom of Swaziland
- Mr Rob Cunningham, Canada
- Professor Prabhat Jha, Canada
- Professor Frank Chaloupka, USA
- Professor Kenneth Warner, USA.
Events for WNTD
- Find out what events tobacco organisations around the world organised for WNTD.
- Download our booklet devoted to activites in Pacific Island countries.
- Sign the petition to help children in India have tobacco free schools
- Institute for Global Tobacco Control at Johns Hopkins University
- WNTD infographics by SouthEast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA)
- Web page of Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. Includes fact sheets on: taxation and price essential facts, countering industry claims, types of taxes and success stories.
- Action on Smoking and Health (US) is asking followers to thank political representatives who refuse to accept money from the tobacco industry.
Press releases and news
- World No Tobacco Day 2014: Raising tobacco taxes a win-win for governments
- FCA press release
- World Health Organization press release
About this WNTD