Tobacco industry interference is this year’s theme for the World Health Organization (WHO) World No Tobacco Day, which takes place on 31 May.
The day will focus on the need to expose and counter the tobacco industry's brazen and increasingly aggressive attempts to undermine the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC).
Below are resources prepared by FCA for advocacy around the Day, in English, French and Spanish. We've also listed resources from WHO, FCA members and others.
- Image slideshow: FCA members take on big tobacco during WNTD 2012 - see what our members got up to on WNTD 2012
- Video: World health leaders attack tobacco industry
- Examples of industry interference:
- 'Swiss-cheese' letter querying governments’ Art. 5.3 Measures. English, French, Spanish.
- Briefing (to be sent with Swiss-cheese letter): FCTC guidelines for implementation of Article 5.3 on Tobacco Industry Interference (English, French, Spanish)
- Radio interview with FCA Director Laurent Huber - tobacco industry interference in Africa, in English, French and Spanish.
Get Active Resources
- The Tobacco Industry is Dangerous to your Country's Health - brochure on industry activity in South-east Asia, by SEATCA.
- World No Tobacco Day Action Toolkit - By Corporate Accountability International and Network for Accountability of Tobacco Transnationals. Ideas and information to help organization plan actions and events, including planning visibility events and organizing lobby meetings with government officials.
- Alternative Livelihoods to Tobacco: Approaches and Experiences. A report on tobacco farming, with concrete examples of different approaches worldwide. By unfairtobacco.org
- Sign the Health Professionals for a Tobacco-Free world petition. The petition aims to foster implementation of a tobacco-free environment and call for effective global FCTC implementation.
- Tobacco Industry Uncensored - Support the Facebook campaign by Youth for Health.
- PMI Shareholders’ Meeting – Campaign by Corporate Accountability International, 10 May 2012. Open Letter to PMI Chief Executive Officer - English version; download the Spanish version.
- PMI: Driving a Global Health Epidemic (published on the CAI website), Financial Times: Philip Morris faces AGM fire on marketing By Alan Rappeport