People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
This fact sheet discusses why a protocol to the WHO-FCTC is needed.
The fact sheet covers the following:
- Why do governments need to tackle the illicit trade in tobacco products?
- What is illicit trade in tobacco products?
- What are the main types of illicit trade?
- What are the causes of illicit trade?
- What has been the role of the tobacco industry in facilitating the illicit trade?
- Why is a protocol necessary to tackle illicit trade effectively?
- What should a protocol include?
- What are the costs and benefits of combating illicit trade?
- Would an international agreement to combat illicit trade be restrictive of