People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
MANILA, Philippines - International tobacco-control organisations on Friday expressed support for the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority's (MMDA) ban on smoking on public roads in the metropolis.
The groups, in a press statement, also accused the tobacco industry of having a hand in the case filed against MMDA's smoking ban.
"In a TV interview last month, complainant Antony Clemente confessed that he was paid by a tobacco company to take MMDA to court but retracted his statement through his lawyer hours after the airing of the news programme.
As well, the tobacco farmers who allegedly sponsored the bond for the temporary restraining order were found to be linked with tobacco company Philip Morris," the statement said.
Framework Convention Alliance (FCA) expressed its ire, through Director Laurent Huber.
"The court order on the smoking ban is definitely disappointing. Links between the tobacco industry and the side of the complainants - not to mention an admission of the complainant himself, are all easily visible," Huber said.
"We strongly urge the Philippine government to be vigilant against this manipulation by the tobacco industry, which echoes its tactics worldwide. For example, PMI has launched a case against Uruguay for its ground-breaking tobacco control measures as an attempt to block the country's efforts to protect the health of its citizens," he added.
FCA consists of over 350 organizations in more than 100 countries working on the development, ratification, and implementation of the WHO FCTC.
Read the full press release.