People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
Tobacco taxes: Governments can boost revenues, and health
Governments seeking to increase revenues during tough economic times need look no further than tobacco taxes. Universally, states that have introduced these taxes – or increased existing tobacco taxes – have generated revenues. An additional benefit is that by discouraging smoking, tobacco taxes also contribute to improved health among the population.
Read more by downloading the full briefing in:
- English [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 248.34 KB]
- Spanish [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 228.38 KB]
- Arabic [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 332.46 KB]
- Chinese [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 553.17 KB]
- Russian [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 303.37 KB]