People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
Policy Briefing: United Nations High Level Meeting on the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases
The Conference of the Parties (COP) should adopt a decision:
- Welcoming the efforts of the United Nations (UN) and the World Health Organization (WHO) in addressing non-communicable diseases (NCDs), including the UN General Assembly resolution calling for a High Level Meeting on the Prevention and Control of NCDs in September 2011 (hereafter the NCD Summit);
- Re-emphasising the impact of tobacco use on the poor, and the importance of tobacco control in poverty alleviation and progress towards internationally agreed development targets; in particular the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs);
- Endorsing the recognition of the threat posed by NCDs to the achievement of the MDGs, and the challenges faced by developing countries in preventing and controlling those diseases;
- Affirming the role of tobacco control as a leading prevention strategy in the fight against NCDs; Requesting the Secretariat, under the guidance of the Bureau, to provide any required support for the preparation of the NCD Summit;
- Requesting the Secretariat, under the guidance of the Bureau, to prepare for COP-5 a report on the outcomes of the NCD Summit and its impact on the implementation of the Convention. The report should include an analysis of the impact of the NCD Summit final outcomes document on the strategic directions for implementation assistance for the Convention, as well as on any related changes and improvements that may be required to current tools and mechanisms of assistance; and
- Urging Parties to support the inclusion of full and rapid implementation of measures required under the FCTC as a key goal of the international community, in the final document of the NCD Summit, and further the inclusion of NCDs and tobacco control in the successor goals of the MDGs and any subsequent global indicators of development.
Download full document in:
- English [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 190.46 KB]
- French [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 85.61 KB]
- Arabic [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 281.3 KB]
- Russian [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 229.42 KB]
- Chinese [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 284.35 KB]