People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
Claim: Higher tobacco taxes will hurt the economy.
Tax increases will lead to significant reductions in employment in tobacco growing and manufacturing, as well as more general wholesale, retail, and other economic sectors.
Consequently, the tax increases will have an adverse impact on the entire economy.
Truth: Tobacco farming and manufacturing account for a small and, in most countries, declining share of economic activities.
Generally, employment in tobacco farming is low relative to other farming activities. Due to the addictive nature of tobacco products, any decline in the demand for tobacco will be gradual allowing tobacco farmers time to transition from tobacco to alternative crops. Read more by downloading the full papers. Papers are also available in the languages below.
Download the papers
- TAXATION AND PRICE - Countering Industry Claims
- IMPUESTOS Y PRECIOS Refutando los argumentos de la industria
- TAXATION ET PRIX Réfutation des allégations de l’industrie
- TRIBUTAÇÃO E PREÇOS Combatendo as alegações da indústria
- الضرائب والسعرتفنيد إدعاءات صناعة التبغ
- 烟草税和价格 驳斥烟草业的观点
- НАЛОГООБЛОЖЕНИЕ И ЦЕНА Ответы на аргументы табачной промышленности