People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
This document relates to item 5.1 of the provisional agenda.
• FCA believes that further negotiations to conclude a protocol are necessary;
• Given that the Parties and the Secretariat clearly need time to conduct essential preparatory work, FCA recommends that the INB be held later in 2011 rather than earlier;
• FCA recommends the establishment of a working group, reporting to the next INB and involving staff and experts from relevant international agencies, to help ensure that the provisions of the protocol complement and do not duplicate the provisions of existing international agreements and the work of existing agencies;
• Parties need to ensure the protocol does not encourage interactions between the industry and Parties’ law enforcement and other relevant agencies that are contrary to Article 5.3 or other provisions of the FCTC
Read more by downloading the full document in:
- English [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 179.69 KB]
- Chinese [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 434.84 KB]
- French [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 291.12 KB]
- Spanish [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 241.63 KB]
See all COP4 meeting resources.