People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
During past INBs, Part III of the draft Protocol has been the central focus of discussions, with numerous wording proposals and vigorous debates on some issues, notably the extent of tracking-and-tracing obligations (Article 7).
At INB4, Parties achieved consensus on Article 7, subject to the oft-repeated proviso that "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed". Other draft articles were referred to the informal working group, which proposed text for the rest of the supply-chain-control articles.
• Delete references to "legally binding and enforceable agreements" in Articles 6 and 9;
• Add language on key inputs in Article 5, 6, 8 and 12, or at a minimum, modify language on key inputs in Article 5.5 so as to encourage rather than preclude action;
• Delete reference to location of global information-sharing focal point in Article 7.1.
Download the full policy paper
Papers are available in English, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish
- INB5: Supply-Chain Control (Part III)
- Contrôle de la chaîne logistique (partie iii)
- КОНТРОЛЬ НАД КАНАЛАМИ ПОСТАВОК (ЧАСТЬ III)
- CONTROL DE LA CADENA DE SUMINISTRO (PARTE III)