People have died from tobacco-related diseases since the opening of the first FCTC working group on 28 October 1999.
Article 6 - guidelines for FCTC Article 6 (price and tax measures to reduce the demand for tobacco) – Why Health Ministries should support them
This document relates to item 5.7 of the provisional agenda.
Good tobacco tax policies have enormous potential to encourage quitting amongst tobacco users, prevent young people from starting – and simultaneously generate considerable tax revenue. Of all the available tobacco control measures, taxation may well be the single most effective method of quickly reducing tobacco consumption.
Read more by downloading the full document in:
- English [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 222.12 KB]
- Spanish [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 211.52 KB]
- Russian [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 272.51 KB]
- Chinese [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 501.4 KB]
- Arabic [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 252.57 KB]