23 Jun 2014
The sixth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP6) to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) takes place 13-18 October in Moscow, Russian Federation.
As always, FCA was there – take a look at what we got up to below.
Video: see the power of our daily Bulletin at meetings of the COP.
FCA members describe the important role the FCA plays at COPs, especially the Orchid and Ashtray awards in the FCA Bulletin.
- FCA’s COP6 seminar on FCTC guidelines on price and tax measures
- My COP6 story – Pubudu Sumanasekera
- My COP6 story – Hellen Neima
- Some outcomes of COP6
- The FCTC is a key tool to ensuring healthy lives for all
- In the spotlight – tobacco industry interference in the COP
- An increase in the excise tax does not reduce government revenue
- Learning from key global health initiatives for the FCTC
Download a zip file of all COP6 policy documents, in English (ZIP file 8.9MB)
The order of the policy papers below follows that of the provisional agenda:
- Document Guide
- Women cannot be left behind
- INTERPOL’s application for observer status
- The Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products
- Draft guidelines for Article 6 (price and tax measures)
- FCTC Article 19 – liability
- Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Control and prevention of waterpipe tobacco products
- Report of the Article 17/18 Working Group
- Report of the Working Group on Articles 9 and 10 of the WHO FCTC (Regulation of the contents of tobacco products and tobacco product disclosures)
- Impact assessment of the FCTC
- Thai Proposal: Implementation of Article 5.3 of the WHO FCTC: evolving issues related to interference by the tobacco industry
- Reporting & Implementation Review
- Non-communicable Diseases, sustainable development and the FCTC
- Sustainable measures to strengthen implementation of the FCTC
- Tobacco Control in Future Trade and Investment Agreements
- Voluntary Assessed Contributions
- Budget & Workplan 2016-2017
- Attendance of members of the public in meetings of the Conference of the Parties to the WHO FCTC and its subsidiary bodies
Day one: Issue 123 in English / French (pg 1 only) / Spanish (pg 1 only) / Russian (pg 1 only)
Inside: Interpol: no place at the COP; Beware the ITIC; Eurasian Economic Commission a threat; Women and tobacco; Resources & political commitment; Taxes a win-win; l’ingérence de l’ industrie; Lao PDR: low prices and lives lost.
Day two: Issue 124 in English / French (pg 1 only) / Spanish (pg 1 only) / Russian (pg 1 only)
Inside: No one-size framework; Health warnings grow; Una herramienta eficaz; Higher taxes is win-win; Evolve to match Big Tobacco; Monitoring impact; FCTC in global discussion’s; Improving implementation.
Day three: Issue 125, in English/ French (pg 1 only) / Spanish (pg 1 only) / Russian (pg 1 only)
Inside: At what cost?; Travel support is an investment; Implementation review committee; Mesures durables pour renforcer; UNDP committed to Article 5.3; Controlling Big Tobacco; Industry claims about tobacco farming false; Trade in tobacco is in COP’s hands
Day four: Issue 126 in English / French (pg 1 only) / Spanish (pg 1 only) / Russian (pg 1 only)
Inside: India’s new pictorial warnings; 1/3 of parties excluded from COP? A new tool for African gov’ts; Art 9/10: no guidelines on smoke emissions test methods; advocacy film in india; Objetivos de desarrollo sostenible
Day five: Issue 127 in English / French (pg 1 only) / Spanish (pg 1 only) / Russian (pg 1 only)
Inside: Les contributions volontaires évaulées; NGO success in Mauritius; Enjeux et pertinence d`une coopéeration judiciaire renforcée; UK`s policy for diplomats on Art 5.3; laughable call from tobacco industry; Smoking machine
Day six: Issue 128 in English / French (pg 1 only) / Spanish (pg 1 only) / Russian (pg 1 only)
Inside: FCTC: a key tool to healthy lives for all; SF law not bad for business; Tobacco industry CSR and the Red Cross; Industry Interference in Sri Lanka; Report: interference expands in Latin America; Slims sales soar; Overcoming barriers in Georgia; Progress on duty-free.