11 Mar 2013
In its submission, the Alliance calls on the plan to be strengthened by:
- Explicitly recognising the FCTC Conference of the Parties as the governing body for global tobacco control;
- Ensuring that FCTC provisions on multi-sectoral action on global tobacco control (FCTC Article 5) are fully implemented and become strengthened through multi-sectoral action on NCDs;
- Explicitly recognising the legally binding nature of the FCTC and its provisions.
FCA also notes:
- While drafting continues on the revised NCD Global Action Plan, FCTC Parties have an obligation to implement its provisions now: FCTC requirements are immediate.
- While the NCD process and its targets are mostly on a voluntary basis, the FCTC is a legally binding treaty: its provisions are mandatory.
A final draft of the revised plan will be submitted for consideration by Member States at the Sixty-sixth World Health Assembly (20-28 May 2013).
FCA’s campaign: FCTC: Action Now!