01 Feb 2008
This fact sheet, released in February 2008 discusses the global illicit tobacco trade in 2006.
The summary findings of the fact sheet are that;
- Approximately 5 767 billion cigarettes were sold globally in 2006.
- Based on the most recent data, it is estimated that the global illicit cigarette trade was 10.7% of total sales, or 600 billion cigarettes, in 2006.
- Losses of revenue from illicit tobacco trade could represent a loss to government revenue of $US 40 to 50 billion annually.
The fact sheet covers the following areas;
- The different types of illicit tobacco trade;
- Estimates of cigarette smuggling;
- Cigarette sales in 2006;
- Recent estimates of the illicit tobacco trade; and
- The losses in government revenue.