07 Dec 2010
We are asking for your support on the following:
1. The EU and US are advocating for a one-day Summit. The G77 Group of Countries is calling for a two-day Summit on 19-20 September. FCA and the NCD Alliance are supporting this position.
2. This week UN members will decide on topics for round-table sessions in which member states and civil society will participate. We are requesting support for the following roundtables topics:
- Implementation of NCD prevention strategies (this will include a major focus on the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, FCTC)
- NCD control strategies with access to essential medicines and technologies
- Strengthening national capacities to address NCDs (we can also raise tobacco control here)
- Fostering international cooperation to address NCDs (and we can raise funding for tobacco control here)
3. A concise action-orientated Outcomes Document, as is being advocated by the G77, which will form a clear programme of action for governments and other stakeholders.
FOUR KEY ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE THIS WEEK:
1. Write and e-mail letters to your UN Ambassador in New York and copy to your Minister of Health and Minister of Foreign Affairs
See the template letter you can use as a guide.
2. Request the attendance of your Head of State and Government at this landmark event.
3. Request meetings with senior officials in your government to advocate for these additional ‘key asks’.
4. Keep FCA informed of your efforts and let us know if we can provide additional support.
The NCD Summit is a once in a generation opportunity to put NCDs and associated risk factors, including tobacco control, on the global agenda. It has the potential to secure commitment from Heads of Government for a coordinated global response to NCDs and to substantially increase resources for FCTC implementation.
Please act now to help it succeed and to ensure tobacco control gets the funding it deserves.