COP8 Policy Briefing: Maximizing transparency of delegations from Parties to the COP
- FCA fully supports FCTC Article 5.3 and its guidelines and believes that Party delegations should not include individuals having affiliations with the tobacco industry or any entity advancing its interests. This practice weakens the COP’s ability to effectively make decisions to advance the implementation of the FCTC.
- At COP8 Parties should endorse the Secretariat’s proposed measures to enhance the transparency of COP sessions, including the declaration of interest forms included in Annex 1 of FCTC/COP/8/15.
- Starting at COP9, FCA encourages all Parties to complete, on a voluntary basis, declarations that their delegations do not include individuals who are affiliated with the tobacco industry.
- The Convention Secretariat should provide a list of Parties who have submitted these declarations in its decision on Credentials.
- FCA also supports the inclusion of standard sentences in letters of invitation to the FCTC COP and subsidiary body meetings reminding Parties of their obligation under FCTC Article 5.3.
Click the links below to download the policy briefing in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish.
What we're doing