20 Oct 2011
In order to substantially reduce NCDs, one of the key commitments made in the Declaration is to accelerate implementation of the FCTC and to encourage countries that have not yet done so to consider acceding to it.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
As a (first) follow up step of the UN Summit, we encourage you to schedule a meeting within the next weeks with your tobacco control and/or NCD focal point(s) of your ministry of health to:
- Provide and discuss the HLM outcome and next steps, including to distribute and ensure support for the Political Declaration;
- If applicable, hold your government accountable to their commitments made at the HLM, and
- Discuss a plan to accelerate FCTC implementation, particularly focusing on tobacco taxation and including tobacco control into national NCD plans and development agenda.
We suggest you organise a face-to-face meeting that would ideally include other key stakeholders such as relevant officials of other ministerial departments, WHO and UN agencies. In case such a meeting is impossible, we encourage you to either meet with or call your contacts within your ministry of health to discuss the above issues.
To schedule and prepare you for your meeting(s), we have developed several supporting materials:
- Template letter;
- Summary of the Summit outcomes;
- Summary of the key paragraphs of the Political Declaration;
- Table of comments made in official statements at the Summit on tobacco control, FCTC and other relevant topics.