20 Oct 2010
During a recent National Press Club meeting, tobacco control activists from a range of tobacco control non-profit organisations called for these “other” products to be included in the country’s tobacco control law.
The activists also demanded a range of other tobacco control measures be included in the law, such as:
• Non-motorised vehicles, workplaces, private institutions, restaurants and salons also be included as smoke-free areas.
• Legal action against tobacco farming to save agricultural land and the environment.
• Stronger tobacco marketing rules through preventing tobacco companies from advertising through their name, logo and brand colours and from offering presents to customers and promoting smoking through scenes in movies.
• Pictorial health warnings that cover 50% of tobacco packaging.
• Increased penalties for smokers in smoke-free places
• A policy for tobacco taxation.