25 Apr 2014
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2014 (WNTD2014), which took place 31 May, was Raise taxes on tobacco. Research shows that higher taxes are effective in reducing tobacco use among lower-income groups and preventing young people from starting to smoke. This year, Framework Convention Alliance helped unite its members to take action on this important issue. Find out more about the day in the links below.
Congratulations award winners!
- FCA would like to recognise all the WNTD award winners, and especially those who are FCAers or who have supported FCA over the years. Congratulations to:
- The Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA), Philippines
- Ms Dorcas Jepsongol Kiptui, Republic of Kenya
- Mr Vuyile Dlamini, Kingdom of Swaziland
- Mr Rob Cunningham, Canada
- Professor Prabhat Jha, Canada
- Professor Frank Chaloupka, USA
- Professor Kenneth Warner, USA.
Events for WNTD
- Find out what events tobacco organisations around the world organised for WNTD.
- Download our booklet devoted to activites in Pacific Island countries.
- Sign the petition to help children in India have tobacco free schools
- Institute for Global Tobacco Control at Johns Hopkins University
- WNTD infographics by SouthEast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA)
- Web page of Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. Includes fact sheets on: taxation and price essential facts, countering industry claims, types of taxes and success stories.
- Action on Smoking and Health (US) is asking followers to thank political representatives who refuse to accept money from the tobacco industry.
Press releases and news
- World No Tobacco Day 2014: Raising tobacco taxes a win-win for governments
- FCA press release
- World Health Organization press release